As the largest dropout prevention organization in the country, Communities In Schools stands in the gap between at-risk students and graduation. We are committed to providing the resources and connections necessary for our students to focus on learning first. We are dedicated to providing children with five basics:
* A one-on-one relationship with a caring adult
* A safe place to learn and grow
* A healthy start and a healthy future
* A marketable skill to use upon graduation
* A chance to give back to community and peers
The Ottawa affiliate of Communities In Schools surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life. We works in two ways to address the identified needs of the children and youth of USD 290:
- School wide programs that range from grade level enrichment programming and providing food for the weekends to younger kids, to financial literacy programs and dental clinics.
- Individualized support offered on a case-by-case basis including, but not limited to mentoring, tutoring and family support.
This year we will have Site Coordinators at the following school sites:
- Eugene Field Elementary – Deanna Brown
- Lincoln Elementary – Nycole Ferguson
- Ottawa Middle School – Valerie Baldwin
- Ottawa High School – Leslie Harmon